Friday, September 01, 2006

So Goodbye Whitehorn, not Texas, Whitehorn

On Wednesday, I took my dog for a walk. I was so happy to be walking again that I wanted to celebrate so that's what I did after work. I hadn't intended anything more than just a regular walk, but as I got started I began thinking. Probably because my parents had prayed over me on Monday, I happened to think about leaving Whitehorn after all these years. So I decided to pray through Whitehorn a blessing as I part ways. I went to Whitehorn Drive, which is the street I did my prayer walks for a long time. Once I started on it, I couldn't stop. I had to do my old customary: 7 times, back and forth. It was deliciously grand. More delicious than the icecream sundae I'd made myself before I left.

It was like old times. God would give me prayers. I would smile and pray them. I sang several old worship songs, blessed all passers-by. And I thought about how Jesus is the shepherd and the sheep know his voice. Shepherds don't talk to their sheep. They make odd clicking noises and such. It reminded me that God, for whatever reason, chooses to speak in certain ways more often than others, and in various ways for different people. For some reason, it seems easier to listen while on prayer walks. Especially intercessory ones, where I try to maintain unselfish prayers, and instead focus on praying for the people living on that street.
So I became excited at the thought of going on prayer walks in a new community. It's a much smaller community and so it may in fact be easier to pray for the whole thing.
The thought of doing it with other people seemed a little bit daunting. When I'm by myself, I don't have to explain, I don't have to accomodate, I don't have to listen to other people. It's very relaxing.
Yet the thought of praying with other people is also exciting. Why? Because I love hanging out with other people. Having other people is very productful. Everyone has different personalities and outlooks and gifts and there's a splendid fullness to it.
I do like the quietness of prayer walks though. Perhaps it might be better suited to pairs of people.

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

I think that is one of the neatest things I've learned from you in all of my years knowing you. The manner in which shepherds call to their flocks. I honestly never knew that and, therefore, had never considered that. God's awesome, and what a fool I've been on those occasions when I've asked for or even demanded to hear His voice.

Thanks.