Thursday, September 15, 2011

Autumn Leaves Haven't Fallen Yet! But In Calgary They Mostly Suddenly Drop-Dead

Oh Fall, you have come and with your presence, memories of when last you came.
I remember a whole year ago.
When my Mom was still alive.
When I built my last house with Kyle.
When we decided to have a break from cohousing to focus on home renos.
Painting my foundation with tar in the mud in the dark in a trench.
When I started school again.
When I missed having a birthday party again.

But not this year. This year I feel determined to have a birthday party. Sure sure I have house renos galore that stare at me menacingly, gloating about how it's getting colder and I still have to get parging and tiered window wells done before frigidity. Yet someone at work off-handedly remarked at the end of a conversation, "oh yeah, and you work too hard," and left. Almost prophetic. So I have been trying to think of activities I'd like to do. Things that have slipped away. Like hiking in the mountains, or rock climbing in the mountains, or camping in the mountains. Remember the mountains? Or I could go bike riding in the provincial park I live beside. I could even go get that carrier bike conversion kit. I could definitely have a game of Risk 2210 with expansions (particularly if someone printed off cards or boards as a present for me - or paid someone on boardgamegeek.com to do it). I could go on a prayer walk. Or...(this could be an And...) I could have a house concert with The Violet Burning! This may come true. And if it does, I could bust out my disco ball, and lights. I could make yummy food and drinks. I could invite everyone and their kitten over, just kidding, there are no pets that aren't being eaten allowed in my house. Nathan Horch is trying to organize shows (house concerts, pubs, churches, etc.) for Oct 4 -11, so if you have any ideas, don't delay, do something about them!

No comments: