Thursday, June 29, 2006

Will Music Make A Comeback?

So, one of the two music books I ordered came. The other one was mysteriously refunded. But it's a start! 1 /4 isn't bad (I ordered both books before but they were lost). Andy is in Canada now. Adam is lending him his amp. So what else do I need? Preferably another guitarist - although I suppose a keyboardist would also be assistive.

Being a music snob is hard. It means that when people come up to me after church and say, "wow Nolan! You've become so good at guitar!" I return with, "oh no! I've lost so much in the last 2 years!" It was Nathan's Dad who remembers when I first came over and learned to play from Nathan. He's heard me play more recently of course too, but it's hard to accept such a compliment when I know how far I've fallen. It also means that I won't like the music that I start making. I won't be happy with how I can't sing and play guitar, or sing for that matter, or as already mentioned play guitar.

But somewhere my mind remembers the raw excitement after playing a song together with a band. It remembers the sheer energy driving bold statements like, "that was better than Delirious!!!" It remembers the absolute joy and satisfaction of melding songs together. It remembers getting on the rare occasion, perfect tone. And all of those memories believe my perfectionism is all a load of rubbish. My self-criticism is all a hoax, the hollowness of which will never stand against the return of experience.

So I need to get Cyler drumming. And I need to start playing again.

Bonus link: Retro Transfigured

1 comment:

Cyler Parent said...

Things to get Cyler playing drums:

- Provide access to drum kit for practicing with the band.

- Come up with practice schedule that works my my messed up work schedule.

- Be willing to put up with someone who can't drum that fast