Monday, January 22, 2007

Move My Decimal Over Please

Pr pr pr pr profesh-tional!

So I had a thought during evening prayers tonight. It went along with a question God asked me the other day and a nice little quote from CS Lewis they used at church the other week.
"Diving is great, but once you hit the water it's all about swimming." [not exact quote]
The question God asked me which I will respectfully veil, basically went, "what will it look like after you start?"
Previously I'd been focusing on whether to start or not.

Today was an interesting day. I woke up for my morning solitude which was very frustrating. Morning prayer was zombieish on my part but RJ redeemed it. Then I got into my car and almost immediately I started crying as I finally connected with God. During my first break at work I continued to re-read a short Graham Cooke book. Lots of important and pertinent truths as per usual. One thing that he talked about which is sticking out to me now is about returning to your first love of God. That you enter into His gates with thanksgiving in your heart (the theme of the week). That if you get your life focused on loving God, your love for other people will shoot up ten times as a result. And so, God's question returned to my head tonight. And I thought about the passage we'd just read. About the ways to love God it described. Because it really is a good description of being really really in love with God. Singing about him. Telling everyone about him and what he has done. It's very excited. And I thought about the fun things I've done with God in the past. Making up a shooting prayer game comes to mind. And I thought, I need to be more romantic with God. I need to come up with creative dates to go on with God. I need to write him some more songs and poetry. I need to brag about him. I need to get him stuck in my head all day long. I need to stay in a room as long as he's there, just because he's there. I need to jump at chances to spend time with him. I need to pay attention and think of meaningful special gifts I could possibly give him. So basically what I'm hinting at here, is that I need to be good at dating God. Which is rather intimidating, but also tingly-anticipatorily rewarding.

3 comments:

Kirk Holloway said...

Hey, Nolan,

I keep getting wonderful comments from you over at my blog, so thought I'd return the favour.

I don't know a ton about dating & am likely not very good at it. But the one thing I've kind of learned by observing is that dating is much, much simplified when the other person loves you deeply & completely. When they're as crazy about you as you are about them, it's great 'cause then you get to be childlike & any little goofy thing you do is seen as wonderful 'cause they think you're fantastic.

Hoping you see His smile & delight over you, the way that He is ravished & overcome by the beauty & wonder of you. I hope you see afresh the ways that you captivate God, that Jesus is transfixed in love in the way that He watches you & soaks in your every moment. I pray that you realize how richly & deeply & infinitely you are loved by God. I hope you find that in this overwhelming love, your every moment is praise & romance....

Blessings to you, treasured one (treasured of course by God & those of us lucky enough to call you friend).

RJ Schumacher said...

I think that we all need to learn that. I think that there are parts of what you say that we all need to hear. I know that it is true for me. Thank God that I could allow Him to shine on you this morning. Chase that relationship!!!!!!

Sindy said...

At least when you date God, you know there is no chance of getting dumped!

I am just starting to realize that God wants us to enjoy him and have fun with the life He has given us. Instead of constantly making the Christian life too seriously.