Saturday, September 01, 2007

Which Do You Prefer: Stage, or Phase?

What does enmeshing mean? Well I have a dictionary, not even the on-line one, and it says, “ensnare in or as in a net.”

I returned from a holiday in BC where I had the unlikely chance to go drift-net fishing. This was an experience for a couple reasons, but I would like to highlight that it was fun seeing how Jesus' disciples might have caught fish. The fact that tiny plastic fibres could trap fish was rather intriguing too.

Today I didn't see Sherry and it felt backwards. I had decided I wanted to go visit my family and after I mentioned it, she later told someone else that she would be around the house for the evening. And at first I thought, how sad that she doesn't want to come too (yes I know I hadn't specifically invited her) but then it struck me that I really had become one of those people.

When you ask those people what they're doing they need to check. No not their calendar, or in Andy's case his diary, but with someone else. And no they're not checking to see if they have a previous engagement like they would if they were checking their calendar. They're checking to see if someone else would enjoy the proposed event. Well why should that matter? You ask, and didn't they see each other every single day just last week?

Yes I too might be bewildered by such phenomenon except that I witnessed fish who, like myself, aren't especially keen about storing up potential energy very long. These fish when finding themselves stuck in nets, proceed to violently thrash about, clearly because they want to have some final fun before they die. Upon drawing the net out, you now have the pleasure of trying to untangle the fish, who has gone to great lengths to make sure he is thoroughly joined to the net. It's not so bad. If it weren't like that, you would get hungry and maybe your children would starve. Since they're joined, the fish goes where the net does, and you've got the net.

No comments: