Sunday, December 03, 2006

Snow Marker

So I'm going to build an altar, to look back on and remember and rejoice, because I met with God tonight, and it was wonderful.

Thank you to a number of people who've been very helpful in reminding me and encouraging me to seek after him.

So I'll begin with a little bit of background to show you what led upto tonight.

Friday night I was driving home and feeling the tension. I didn't want to come home to a dark, empty, lonely house. What should I do? Who should I call? RJ was off to Lethbridge. Some of the girls were off to volunteer, others were off to an engagement party, Andrea had already called to see if I could take a look at some computer annoyances before she left at 6:30. Jamie is always swamped with either school or electrical.

But Nolan, why should you be afraid of being alone? Why is that such a bad thing? And in fact, you're not alone, you could actually spend some good time with God...

No. That's not what I need right now at all. I'm going crazy here. I need people!

So I get home, and thanks be to God, it's a five minute fix to solve Andrea's dilemma (sp?). I eat leftovers from the night before (fajitas - yum), chat with Jamie for a minute or two before he goes to hang out with Cheri before she leaves with Andrea. Then Sherry came down and started talking to me. I asked about how her room was going so she went to show me, and we chatted and continued until she asked if I wanted to go with her to Cyler & Bonnie's. Sure.

So I went, it was nice enough. I got to chat with them and won the game. I ate too much desert and pretty much enjoyed the evening. Came home and broke my bed, slept on my mattress on the floor and stayed in bed in the morning reading old journals from Christmas 2004 / early 2005. It had been right after my fast to hear God and it was cool to read about how I continued to seek him afterwards. Made some pancakes, ate too many chocolate chips, and helped Cheri take out some screws from her shelving unit. Then it was off shopping with RJ for some lag bolts, screws and other supplies at Home Hardware. Came home and helped move some of Sherry's furniture, hang stuff on the wall with Andrea and Kirk, move a couple items for Cheri and work on putting my bed frame back together again, only better. I didn't finish because I didn't get enough lag bolts and ran out of time anyway. Then I showered and got ready for Cyler's Christmas party. Went with RJ and we stopped at Home Hardware again, and Superstore to pick up stuff to make nachos with. Cyler's party was fun, I ate too much again, chatted with friends, and otherwise enjoyed myself. After I returned home I finished putting back our bed together and listened to Sherry who had indeed had a chat with God. She encouraged me with what she'd been reading about in regards to listening to God even though she was probably the one who felt like she needed encouragement. Then I decided I needed to go for a run despite feeling exhausted all day.

I dressed fairly light with sweat pants, my new thermal hoodie, and thin cotton gloves. I jogged about Scarborough until I spotted the bridge over Crowchild and knew I was going to go for an adventure. So I did and enjoyed myself immensely. It was a beautiful, mild, with snow to light the night. I wandered about friendly streets with houses until I made myself towards the river, I wanted to see the valley from the other side. I knew it was beautiful from the North. I came upon a path and made my way along it and relished the delight of it. It would take me along the river, through trees, and feel like I was in the mountains only I knew I was in the city and within walking distance of my house and it was wonderful. And I walked and I ran and I kept singing in my head an old worship song. And I knew if I kept going I would reach Riley Park. But then God told me to stop. So I did. I wondered if it was dangerous ahead. I didn't think so, so I finally stopped to be quiet and listen. And then the song, "We are standing on Holy Ground," came into my head. So I asked God if someone had blessed it, and he said yes. So I asked if I would meet them in heaven and a wave of joy hit me and the song started, "Heaven is a wonderful place, filled with glory and grace, I wanna see my Saviour's face, cuz heaven is a wonderful place." But as it started I could hear different parts, and it was God singing, and it built and built with each line, and when it got to see my Saviour's face all of a sudden I got a picture of my Dad's face and single tears launched out of both my eyes because it was God using my Dad again as a picture of himself. And then the train crossing lights and bells started and train came and I remembered from old photo albums that I had been so excited about trains when I was little, and I was feeling little again, with God. And so I stood there and watched it rush by me, and glory seemed to be all around me and I shot my hands up in the air in worship, which I don't normally do. And then the silly song came into my head, "hands up, baby hands up, give me your heart give me give me your heart baby baby." So then I stood there, the train was gone, and I started running home and praising God and singing more songs with jumps and skips and battle cries. He was so perfect.

So God bless you all, and I'm going to sleep now.

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

I'm such a sap when it comes to God moments. Your story made tears run down my face. Absolutely beautiful.

For what it's worth, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who has worshipped God over His use of trains to bless.

Anonymous said...

"Prayer is the superabundance of the heart. It is brim-full and running over with love and praise, as it once was with Mary, when the Word took root in her body. So too, out heart breaks out into a Magnificat. Now the Word has achieved its "glorius chorus" (2 Thes 3:1): it has gone out from God and been sown in the good soil of the heart. Having now been 'chewed over' and assimulated, it is regenerated into the heart, to praise God. It has taken root in us and is now bearing its fruit: we in turn utter the Word and send it back to God. We have become Word; we are prayer." Andre Louf

I love those joyous moments when you feel so interconnected with God! He uses Diet Pepsi and water as symbols to speak and bless me.