Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Ten Days - Part Three - Two Strangers

We woke up to the end of shoes and shirts, in Oregon anyway. Some exercize, porridge and off to the beach for morning prayer. Then on the coastal 101 we went. We stopped for excursional jaunts down to find dead sea lions and climb big rocks. We had a faith stretching journey to make it to a gas station on empty after Jason wouldn't pull in for 2.63/gallon - "It will be cheaper later"... Again I toke comfort in Andy's song because we were empty and needed filling up. Then we picked up a hitchhiker, John. We took him to Crescent City but he declined our offer to eat at a Mexican restaurant and instead went and found a new friend - Garry. The food was good, the conversation behind me, "deep", and Jason made me glad by swapping free chip baskets with the people who left beside us. Yes we did squeeze everyone and their stuff into my car and went back to the campground in the Redwoods.
That night was interesting to the least. On the way to the campground Garry told us how someone came up to him on the street and said, "Do you wanna hear something corny? Jesus loves you." and gave him $5 and it made him so happy.
At the campground we sat around talking while they smoked pot, and when I came back from brushing my teeth Jason had brought the conversation to beliefs. John had a lot to say, and I kept listening. To him, and for God. Earlier, we'd told him we were going to a conference.
What kind?
A prophetic church kind.
Prophetic?
Hearing God's voice.

At long last I did hear. I received a story for him. Moses and the Egyptians' staffs turning to snakes. I'd already stated my heart for Jesus' being the only way which had launched Jason into a very long disjointed biblical/historical explanation of why Jesus was key that I don't think got through but ended up getting Garry asking questions. I LOVED when Jason ended in prayer. The whole thing was messy and satisfyingly led by the Holy Spirit. I fell asleep in the tent still praying. John even woke us up to say good bye - he caught a ride with the guy beside us. He assured us he hadn't stolen anything (I hadn't been worried, but I had prayed about it :).

[I didn't do a good job of writing about this on the trip, but basically, I feel there was a breakthrough for John. He has a Christian family who prays for him and I prayed a lot for them. He uses drugs contemplatively, and it was hallucinogens that first got him started thinking so much about beliefs - he had a lot to say because he thinks about it all the time now. I prayed that God would reveal himself in those times. And even though he wrote off both things I felt God tell me to say, I think it got to him. He believes in, and has seen the supernatural, but is very universal about it. I got to talk about Jesus after he made a comment about how it frustrates him that so many Christians think that there can only be one way. It went really good, but he wasn't ready to accept the truth. Still, in the morning, there was something about how he said goodbye, that made me think God was niggling at him. It was great to keep praying for them throughout the trip.]

We made breakfast for Garry, and it was grandish and now we're off to find Ewoks.

No comments: