Thursday, May 24, 2007

Time and Children

"This is what I have seen to be good: it is fitting to eat and drink and find enjoyment in all the toil with which one toils under the sun the few days of the life God gives us; for this is our lot. Likewise all to whom God gives wealth and possessions and whom he enables to enjoy them, and to accept their lot and find enjoyment in their toil - this is the gift of God. For they will scarcely brood over the days of their lives, because God keeps them occupied with the joy of their hearts."

"With many dreams come vanities and a multitude of words; but fear God."

"There is nothing better for mortals than to eat and drink, and find enjoyment in their toil. This also, I saw, is from the hand of God; for apart from him who can eat or who can have enjoyment?"

"Go, eat your bread with enjoyment, and drink your wine with a merry heart; for God has long ago approved what you do. Let your garments always be white; do not let oil be lacking on your head. Enjoy life with the wife whom you love, all the days of your vain life that are given you under the sun, because that is your portion in life and in your toil at which you toil under the sun. Whatever your hand finds to do, do with your might"

"For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:
a time to be born, and a time to die;
a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;
a time to kill, and a time to heal;
a time to break down, and a time to build up;
a time to weep, and a time to laugh;
a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
a time to throw away stones, and a time to gather stones together;
a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
a time to seek, and a time to lose;
a time to keep, and a time to throw away;
a time to tear, and a time to sew;
a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
a time to love, and a time to hate;
a time for war, and a time for peace."

Time is key. There is always tension for time, and that is essential.

Andy wrote me a brief note saying hi to everyone from sunny Malta with Marty & Kari, and that he had been praying for me and Time kept coming up.
How appropriate since I had been praying about it that very day.
But I'm no smarter yet, except that prayer last night was precious and the times I quiet myself and listen and give God my focus are rewarding to say the least.
I'm off to Seattle, now as 4 instead of 2.
I had today off even though I didn't think the weather warranted it. I was however mysteriously bagged and still feel like it even though I went back to bed this morning for awhile.

Want to hear my half-conscious thoughts from lying in bed? Well you can't because I don't have my microphone or my computer set up to record, and I don't have a time machine to go back, and I wasn't talking out loud then anyway.

I think, after investigating new music again, that I still crave to hear music that fits me. And so I thought about how sad it is that The Juliana Theory is no more, but there is a time for everything, and then I thought about my prophetic words in California, and how I probably won't ever hear music that fits me until I create it, and then I thought about timing, and how I still don't have the drive to learn everything I need to in my spare time, and then I thought of JLYS and hanging out with the kids, and wondered if music might possibly hold their attention for ten minutes, obviously we would need to have actions, and then I thought, even if it couldn't (those kids are wild, and I'm well aware of the natural craziness of children), all things are possible with prayer, and it's pandemonium anyway, so why not a musical gong show for a little bit? Maybe it's time Ryan got his groove, and taught the kids how to dance (private joke because Ryan stoutly doubts his ability to ever dance). Maybe it's time the kids taught Ryan how to dance.
Kids are great though. Baharen asked me how old I was about 5 times (we played guessing games sometimes and he guessed 20, older, 61, younger, etc...) but by the end of the night he had memorized my age at 23, and Ryan's at 28. While for some reason I don't think Ryan is 28, that is what he said yes to when asked, so that's what Baharen memorized.
He also sat in my lap during story time (don't you dare picture a bunch of quiet kids sitting around listening, instead picture that likely zero of those kids caught any of the story, but did catch Kyler yell a cheer at the end and ask if the kids would love their siblings more now).
I gave piggy back rides during doctor dodgeball. I swung kids around in circles until their feet tingled and their shoulders almost popped. I NEEDED the water at snack time. I entertained 5 kids' attention at the same time including watching Ashley tap dance, without tapping shoes, but still being remarkably loud and frenetic with her heeled dress sandals and playing dodgeball (after dodgeball was over) with one boy who made me do jumping jacks if I got hit.

I know what you're thinking - that's why he's bagged this morning. Well, hmm, I don't believe that, but I don't have any other suggestions.

Go enjoy something.

oh and all the quotes were from Ecclesiastes.

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Je pense tu est exceptionnel.

Il y a une fois pour tout. Oui, even une fois apprendre francais et une fois a penser, une fois a serrer, une fois a hurler, une fois a danser unr fois a pleurer...j'espere tu trouve quelle temps est-il pour toi.

Je te manque