Sunday, July 02, 2006

Explanation & First Clues

So I have been meditating on 1 Corinthians 7 and 13 for a couple weeks now. I shared these posted passages with Nick in his birthday card but after reading Lauren's 'return to blogging' post I decided to share them here.
The crazy part in all of this are the verses surrounding the quoted ones. Paul writes, and answers their questions. What should you do with yourself now that you're a Christian? You should continue with whatever you were doing before you were a Christian.
So for example, if I was a carpenter before, then I should keep on being a carpenter now. The change Paul talks about is not quitting your job and going and becoming a super apostle travelling about on missionary journeys. The change is in how you work; why you work. Don't work because you're worried about the clothes you want to buy. Don't work worrying about how much it will cost to go to your favourite restaurant.

Don't become attached to the things of this world. What are things of this world? What are pagans worried about?

So hard to answer that question because the church I see here is worried about the same things as the pagans.

But there is a treasure written here. There is a freedom, an abundant life, a joy, and a peace to be found here. A mystery hidden since the creation of the world. And I am excited.

So I won't worry about defining what is pagan. I want to start with the Kingdom of God. With living for God. With desiring to please him.

So at work for example, I'm pretty sure cursing pieces of wood who are not co-operating with my will - not such a hotness attractor for Jesus.
Or far worse, being prideful in my work. Doubting other people's work. Viewing others as less than myself rather than more.

And what about all the other time not at work?
Because work is good. Paul also wrote about that. Don't be lazy, work. Sure it's a drag sometimes, especially since it's not as much fun as naming [or photographing] animals and trees, and tending [or writing songs about] gardens with no weeds, pestilence, or drought.
But Hope, which is eternal, is being sure of our salvation. Sure that this life and this world are temporary and will all pass away. Sure that heaven is a wonderful place, and our place has been secured there by Jesus.
And what about all the other time not at work?
The Kingdom of God.
My primary concern.
With what desire shall I make it my concern dear Jesus dear Jesus?
Love mercy?
Love is a big word. I've been reading about it for weeks and it's much bigger than my love. Don't despair though because it is God's love in me that I need.

God is love.
The Holy Spirit lives within me.

In 1 Corinthians 14, I'm told I should desire spiritual gifts. Most of them all, I should desire prophecy.

So many clues to this mystery. So many. But I'll leave you with that one and run along now.

4 comments:

Joe Armstrong said...

Nolan - I will feel slighted if you don't add my blog to your list of links *S*

Lisa said...

Nolan... I liked this post. Thanks for sharing.
Lisa

Jonathan said...

The question/answer dynamic of these passages had evaded me up to now. Thanks for pointing it out. The further truth of Paul's musings is now much clearer.
I love how God can continue to give new meaning and value to passages even on our hundredth time through them. The bible has not got much for me as a static text, a simple 'book' (however wise it may be). It is only when I get back to respecting it for the medium which it is that the powerful voice, once again, rings clear.

That being said though... I still am desperately inspired (not often are desperation and inspiration combined) to figure out how this life ought to be looking according to what has been taught before and what you've revealed tonight.

RJ Schumacher said...

Ok Nolan I love that God puts the same things into us but that it takes differant ways for us to discover the answer. HA HA mine is alot more expensive then yours. :) Keep going though and I love you man!!!!!! Thoughs from india RJ