Sunday, July 09, 2006

Sick, Throatless, Sitting, Very Much Enjoying

Last night I went down to St. Paul's where Andrea "matchless" Matchullis and Rik Leaf were playing. I think Dave coined the matchless moniker and it made me smile. Andrea played, and you couldn't even tell she wishes for much more. Perhaps it was her dream about losing her arm and not even noticing until she gradually realized all it means. Better to use it and be thankful than to curse what it is not yet. Listening to Andrea is always pleasant. She went to Grant MacEwan for Vocal Performance and it shows strong. She played 'oldies' and it was odd to realize I've heard her play half a dozen times and recognized and guessed songs she talked about briefly before playing.
And thanks God for the evening starting an hour late, and thus I was not late but early. Bless the people at Americano Pizza that unimpressed me last night.
Rik Leaf played and he was sick. All that really means was that I gave him a Fisherman's Friend - it certainly didn't diminish the performance from our perspective. I got to see him play just over a year ago at Sherry McConnel's birthday bash. He's a very gifted, practiced musician and a wonderful, clever, performer.
My enjoyment was almost defined by the smiles I could see around the room on other people's faces. How could you not love the evening? All the stories and personality with fantastic music.
God bless him and his family.
So there's some World Cup today, and Converge tonight, and sunshine and water inbetweenst.
No Sam Roberts I decided but ah well, you can't have fun all the time. My back is very sore. It could have been from lifting a 17' high wall by sheer brute strength on Friday - one of the craziest things we've ever done but it worked out alright.
Well there you go, a typical post, haven't seen one of those for awhile here now have you?

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Nolan, loved the "normal" post. had fun chatting with you for a few minutes on Sunday night. keep smiling - the world needs more people who smile like something good is about to happen, or some mischief is about to occur!

Nolan said...

Something good is always about to happen and mischief is almost always brimming being held at bay for a lapse of sensibility, and lapses do and will happen.

Thanks.
I like smiling.