Thursday, July 20, 2006

Rare Romantic Disposition

Disapprovingly Accused Of Dropping Off The World

I really liked how that sentence rolls on the tongue so it can be the second title. Editors remember that it can't have rolled off your tongue unless you actually said it out loud.

Yes I was. I got the call Monday night and was hence late (right...) for home church. We hadn't talked in two weeks, hence the comment.

So Wednesday was a go. Wednesday is over now and I thought I'd let you know how it did go.

I cooked up some delicious Mango Chicken Stir Fry which we had in lettuce wraps. I was pleasantly surprised. Usually I'm not a big fan of ginger or large amounts of soya sauce based stir frys. The large amount of mint leaves combined with the citrus of the fresh orange juice and mango mixed perfectly and I absolutely loved it. It tasted like something you'd have to have spent a year searching for a good restaurant to eat. And it only cost $10, rather than $10/person, or much worse.
Lauren was down with the sickness so we did not go out but stayed in and hung out. All very laid back. I had done the dishes upon arriving so Lauren and Nadine did them after supper. Not terribly exciting for Lauren who does them all the time, such as before supper with me, minus when I kicked her out to give a tour of their house. But she hasn't seen Nadine in a long time and Nadine is a first born so her drive to do was fulfilled.
Nathan showed me the features of his new movie camera - quite impressive. We chatted for awhile, had tea and cookies and watched a pair of Family Guy episodes. I'm always iffy about Family Guy episodes. I suppose it's alright since I find the ADD, allusion and bizzarre jokes funny and still get offended by the crudity.
Anyways, outside Nadine wanted to talk. No no no, not Airdrie Mall Eviction talking, actual conversing. There's been none of that since I was 17.
It was a record breakingly short walk & talk. We only had to pass four houses before turning around.
She just wanted to make sure that it was OK that we were only friends. She thinks I'm a fabulous person to hang out with and doesn't want to change that but.
Now you think I'm all disappointed don't you. Wrong. I have been ever so laid back about this from the start. It was so very peacefully satisfying that the need to talk was about that vs, so what's going on between us - you need to clarify.

So what's wrong with me?
How will my poor parents ever have grandchildren at this rate?
I guess I must have a problem.

It's not that I don't have romance on my mind. It's not that it's not important to me. It's simply under control. Not a crippling restraint.
I have surpassed the need for dating. I remember it. I remember very clearly walking along with Jason, probably grade 10, and telling him, "you know what we need? Girls."

Maybe it's because I've given romance so much thought. Maybe it's because I know that it's a simple fact that it won't work out romantically with at least 9/10 girls. It makes it easy to see girls as treasures and sisters first. Later on sure I'll wonder if I could date them. But it's so much easier to see that it won't work and not worry about forcing it. Why? Why expend the effort on a disaster?
Dating is taxing.
It's difficult enough even dreaming up things to do with friends, almost painful sometimes. I remember dating. You have to do it all the time. No of course that's not what dating is all about. No of course that particular pressure wouldn't stop me from dating someone.
It just seems mysterious why some people are such eager gluttons for punishment.
So what is it?
I don't know. I just know I'm very laid back about the whole thing. If you happen upon someone attractively interesting. Hang out. Get to know them. If they're still fabulous, be friends a long while. After that long while I can usually tell if romance could ever survive and thrive. Now if life timing suits and God is keen, then go after it.

I feel genuinely sorry for people older than I am who have that pressure against them.
Still, I realize that my life is just forming, and I don't mind at all the notion of learning how to live without romance so that I can clearly live well with it.

Which brings me to my present pre-occupation. I'm looking for a house, with my house-church, so that we can become more literal. And then I've got a year, all to begin learning about a disciplined life, together. The company's great. I've got no complaints about convenience left. It's going to be good.

Love endures long and is patient.

No comments: