Saturday, April 08, 2006

Oft Discussed, "Dreams"

I know a great many people who are keen to find meaning in dreams. I've been around several discussions and would like to now divulge a little of my own night sight.
Before I begin let me share what Faye was telling me the other day about sleep cycles. Apparently, your body alternates between deep sleep, where your body gains rest and renewal, and REM, where your brain rearranges itself and sorts things out. REM is also when you dream. As the night progresses your deep sleep takes up less and less time, until you have almost all REM.
This all made sense to me. It's why things you are stressed / confused about are less pressing after sleep (your brain has sorted them out more). It's also why I rarely have memorable dreams. I don't normally have enough sleep to get to large doses of REM.
So remember, if you want a season of dreams dreams dreams, sleep sleep sleep. Blah blah blah not all of you can sleep as easy as me, so I have some snobbish all-encompassing advice for that too. Wear yourself out physically and you'll sleep more easily.
Anyways, whenever I have a lengthy sleep, my brain will tend to polish off reorganizing information from recent days, and then it is bored and just starts making stuff up. This is when I have memorable dreams. Conveniently, all the memorable ones are absolutely bizarre.
Take my Ontario holiday for example.
One night I had a vivid dream and woke up and kept rehearsing it over and over in a half-dazed frame of mind because I thought I had to write it down. But I didn't and now I have far less details but here it goes:

I was infiltrating a coven. Or perhaps a school of witchcraft.
They later discovered me as I was to recite some oath which I had cleverly twisted so as not to really ally with evil. My rehearsal was for naught since they already knew. I had been hanging out with some girl for awhile and not had sex with her and that had given me away.

Interpret that!

I'm just kidding. I don't think it meant anything, that's why I didn't write it down. But it was very vivid and long, which is unusual.

And now it's back to normal life where I don't make it that far in sleep cycles so there won't be anymore.

No comments: