Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Fixing Big Things You Don't Understand

So Converge on Sunday...

I had a goal beforehand. Back in the day, I used to sit with friends at church. It just makes sense. Worship God together with friends. Learn stuff together with friends. Pray together with friends. Why wouldn't you hang out with friends at church?
But at Epic there's always this ambiguous moment when I arrive about where to go.
So beforehand I decided I would go sit with the UMers. So I walked in, zeroed in on Andrea and sat down.

Adam & Crystal were leading worship. The first song was good, but as I had been backpacking, and I was fairly relaxed, I didn't feel the necessity to stand up. The second song though said Arise! Arise! So it seems rather silly to stay seated to such statements. Up I go. It's going pretty good. I've just come back from a fantastic weekend camping with friends and God. The songs are full of truth.
But then Crystal stops us. She doesn't want to worship alone. She knows a lot of us are feeling kind of blase or distracted but we need to worship God together. So let's just stop and listen to him.
Ah yes, I guess that noisy chatter during the worship, would have implied that other people could have been distracted...
Hooray for listening though.
God's been trying to tell Epic to learn how to listen for years now and we're still not done.
So I start listening.
First thing I get is the impression/desire for everyone to go up to the front. That gets casually dismissed as I move onto other thoughts. After all. I've thought it before. I've tried to instigate it before with failure. So it barely registered, and was quickly forgotten until later on in this story.
The second thing is some of the truths that God spoke so loudly while I was camping are screaming to be prayed over us. Where 2 or 3 are gathered together in my name... We're gathered people. He's here.
There was more, and I had the burning desire to go up to the front and pray them. And I was ready. But hey, we're listening. And as I said, God wants Epic to listen. So praise him for this opportunity. I'm not going to rush it.
Damien(sp?) came up and shared a couple things. Good things. Resting in God. God gave me something for him to be prayed later.
Then Chad came up and shared what he was feeling. It was kind of opposite what I was getting but he's part of leadership and I NEED to respect authority, and besides it wasn't bad, it was still good. I didn't think much of it. It just kind of overruled me praying anything. So we went back to singing and the songs were great. So much truth and it was so good to sing to Jesus.
Jim's Swiss buddy spoke and it was great. Really great.
Then it was over.
I went out with Damien and Cherize(sp?) and Megan afterwards. We ended up at Cajun Charlies, and drumming and dancing in public and getting shut down rather quickly with some noise unappreciation.
So while driving Megan, Converge came up. She was disappointed with Epic tonight.
For a couple reasons, but one thing I'll mention here.
When we listened, she felt like there was a giant rock crushing us. Stopping us. We needed to go up to the front and be together. We were too spread out.
But Chad had basically said the opposite and then it was over. No room for anyone else to share what they had heard, listening.
This struck me obviously, because God had said the same thing, but I hadn't payed close attention.
Her frustration was also hard.
I have so much pity for leadership. There's such huge expectations placed on them and they're not perfect, just normal.
I've read Growing In The Prophetic by Mike Bickle. In it he basically shares his church's long arduous process of learning about how to incorporate the prophetic in the church. That sentence sounds really lame. But it was huge. Huge for me. Very smart. So much wisdom gained from years of experience and mistakes and hurt and victories and God.
But there's no structure in Converge.
And I've seen people hurt because of it. And I wonder.
I wonder.
Should I bring it up?
With who?
How?
I really don't understand it all.
I'm not an expert.
It's just that people are getting hurt.
So couldn't we look at it a little?
And right now I'm busy. Really busy. Too busy to organize anything. Too busy to think of anything.
So couldn't we just bring it up at Converge maybe?
Have a less than annual church meeting?

Anyway, Dave offered some fairly sound advice to the specific thing I mentioned. If you hear something from God opposite of someone else. Say something. Ask the group if anyone else is getting the same thing.

Sorry for the lack of concisity.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Nolan, glad to hear you asking questions... I missed most of that part of sunday night - sitting in the foyer catching up with Rachel. Yeah, Converge definitely has struggles - I've hit a whole bunch of them lately... and yeah, sympathy for leadership is probably a good thing too.