Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Shush

So I'm still not going to finish my BC tales. I can't fully explain why it was so wonderful, but it was, and it deserves writing out. Not today though. It won't happen in all liklihood. It's already fading and I'm painfully busy. I'm not sure why I love writing, but I know I'd story-tell my whole life if I had the extra time.

Here's a piece. I gave Sherry her socks last night. I found them on the weekend when I was cleaning my car before going up to Edmonton for Nathan's bach. There is something peculiarly fantastic about finding girls socks in your car because a girl left them there.

I just finished catching up on Kirk's blog so I have the strong urge to be sappy and wistful. Not that I need his writings for that, but now I'm locked there.

Back to the game show What's My Type?

I've had a picture in my head for a long time now that I'll wind up with a feisty girl. She'll argue with me and I won't argue back even though that's what I do. Instead I'll shush her with a kiss. I'll also do this when she's had a rotten day and she's telling me how horrible the world is.

And she'll let me. Because she loves me. As much as she wants to still be feisty and insist on me fighting back, on remaining foul, she'll smile because kisses are wonderful things.

And it's funny because somewhere along the line I decided that's the kind of guy Melanie needs eventually. But Faye thinks it would be disasterous if I dated anyone as moody or extreme as Melanie. Melanie doesn't understand me and it vexes her (so Faye tells me - Faye used the word vex too). And I don't know if I could handle it for that matter. I'd always want to cure her of her grumpiness. Maybe that's where the magical shushing kiss came from.
So basically, I don't know if this mythical fairy tale can ever be real but if it could, oh how it would draw me. Or already does.

Because girls like that aren't grumpy all the time. Sure they're prone to be vengeful and take things personally and definitely need food and sleep on time. But they're so much fun too.

Hmm, so what else will lure me into attraction?
If they like activity. Particularly physical activity.
Any girl who likes biking, snowboarding, rock climbing, hiking, sports, dancing, skiing, trampolines. This is a girl for me.

That's all for now. Tune in next week for more on the vague notion of what I look for in girls.

Staying on the relationships topic I have another thought. The scariest part about dating is combining destinies. It's complicated enough figuring out what God wants you to do and where to go. If you're dating, all of a sudden you have to consider their future too. And it limits yours. And you will limit them. And I do not want them to be filled with remorse and what ifs two years later when life veers again.

I broke up with Natalie back in grade 12 for that reason. Why were we dating so young when we didn't have a clue where we were going in life?

Life is full of details and those details can be ignored or adjusted if it's just me.
But if you're married, the leash, the responsibility, the boring, normal slowing down comes running to greet you.
I still remember Pam saying that the Christian guys she knew didn't want adventurous girls. They wanted submissive trophy wives. I don't know where she dug up these fools but even the thought of such things frightens me.

Sorry, it's back to my type again. I want an adventurous girl. And I know that buying a house doesn't mean you can't have adventures. But I remember when I was dating Jasmine. And she wanted to get married young so bad. And all of a sudden I needed a real job.
I'll tell you what I really needed. I needed to grow up.
And I'm still not there. But I'm beginning to see it will be that way forever.
I'll never be old boring Nolan.
And that's because I keep changing.

3 comments:

Cyler Parent said...

A blog post after my own heart. I am going to post on relatively the same subject.

Jonathan said...

You know that I admire and agree with your stance, it's 'inspiration' clearly resides in the mind of the only one who has this love thing figured out. All praise be to God the romantic!

May He guide you closer every day to that occasionally melancholy lass who will be both susceptible and appreciative of your shushing kisses.

Nolan said...

aw, thanks guys